Urban Designer – Toronto, Canada. Urban Designers are responsible for the design and problem solving associated with urban design projects and studies at a variety of scales in urban and rural environments.
Urban Designers at Urban Strategies’ will work directly with other Urban Designers, Planners, Graphic Designers, Associates, Principals and Partners.
Urban Designer – Toronto, Canada
Responsibilities: Practice Area
- Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, work with multidisciplinary teams to advance complex projects;
- Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, support the urban design analysis and summarization of policy documents, zoning-by-laws and background studies;
- Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, develop the conceptual and detailed urban design; lead the creation of diagrams or graphics conveying key themes and concepts; physical analysis conveying specific opportunities and constraints of a project;
- Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, support the production of hand and computer-generated presentation drawings or computer models; layout, drafting, graphic and technical refinement of plans and concepts at a variety of scales;
- Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, support the preparation of reports, presentations, panels and other materials for communication with clients and project stakeholders;
- Work independently and exercise judgement on specific tasks to support the overall project team;
- Communicate clearly, professionally, and persuasively, both orally and in writing;
- Adapt and respond to a dynamic and fast-paced work environment;
- Quality control and troubleshooting of project work.
Urban Designer. Project Management
- Under the guidance of Project Leadership advance small projects; support the advancement of complex projects as part of a multidisciplinary team;
- Support and, where required, lead meeting facilitation with clients and at community consultation events in conjunction with Project Leads. Oversee and support the presentation of concepts at client and public meetings;
- Under the guidance of Project Leadership contribute to the preparation and management of client contracts and budgets; oversight of budget utilization and project risk management. Support budget revisions, invoice management and finalization. Follow up with clients as requested with regards to invoicing and collections, highlighting with Project Leadership when there are concerns. In collaboration with Project Leadership, manage the scheduling and logistics for meetings and consultation events;
- Under the guidance of Project Leadership, conduct the scheduling and logistics for meetings and consultation events;
- Under the guidance of Project Leadership, support optimal resource allocation and utilization for project teams;
- Report back to Project Leadership any key issues or concerns regarding project processes, budgets and client or subconsultant relations;
- Under the guidance of Project Leadership ensure that business development is updated as to the project status and that project marketing materials are up to date.
Urban Designer. Leadership & Mentoring
- Lead the onboarding and mentoring of Design Assistants (Interns) in collaboration with Associate Urban Designer(s). Support the onboarding of (buddy with) new Designers in collaboration with Project Teams.
- Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, participate in and support marketing and business development discussions and initiatives working closely with the Business Development team;
- Under the guidance of the Project Leadership, support the preparation of responses to RFP’s; strongly consider how to structure the components of an RFP and team members.
- Bachelor’s Degree in architecture, landscape architecture or a related field
- A solid knowledge of contemporary ArchiCAD and graphic software including Photoshop, InDesign, ArchiCAD or similar BIM software and other drafting, graphic design and layout software.
- Organizational and critical thinking skills to create materials for engaging and creative presentations through storytelling.
- A solid understanding of MS Office suite including Word, Excel & PowerPoint.
- Organized and detail orientated
- Possess good problem-solving skills, creativity and knowledge of information technologies.
- The ability and willingness to travel outside of Toronto
Urban Designer. Desirable:
- Master’s Degree in architecture, landscape architecture or a related field
- Membership with OALA or OAA
- Fluency in French or Mandarin.
If you are interesting in applying, please send your CV, cover letter and your portfolio to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: This position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required, and the employee may be required to perform other duties (that they are skilled to perform) as requested.
- Architecture & Planning